Whether you are heading out just for a dog walk for a few hours, or on a multi-day expedition, make sure you formally designate someone to look out for your return. That check-in person should be able to answer the following questions:
- How many in your party? names, ages? Does anyone have health concerns?
- When do you expect to return? How much leeway should be allowed before RCMP should be called?
- If camping, at which location(s) do you plan to camp at and what color/model tent will you be using?
- From where do you plan to leave (trailhead name or coordinates)?
- What is your cell phone number?
- Do you have the Ten Essentials?